Spanish Dessert Recipe for you..Enjoy the recipe...
- 4-6 Slices of Stale White Bread*
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- Vegetable Oil for frying, such as Canola or Corn Oil, NOT olive oil
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Sugar and Cinnamon
1. Pour the milk into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add the egg and beat together. Add vanilla extract, if desired. Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to cover the bottom and heat on medium. Be careful that the oil does not burn.
2. If you are using stale white bread, place one slice in the milk-egg mixture and quickly flip it over with a fork. Make sure that the bowl is next to the frying pan, so you can quickly transfer it from the bowl to the heated pan.
If you use a stale baguette, slices should be at least 1/2 inch thick. If the bread is more than a day old, you may need to soak the bread for 2-3 minutes or more, so that it softens up. Be careful that the bread does not soften so much that it crumbles when you lift it out of the bowl.
3. Carefully lift the bread out of the mixture and let the excess milk drain before placing the bread in the frying pan. Repeat for each of the other slices.
After 2-3 minutes, check the bottom of the bread. As the slices turn golden, turn each one. You may wish to use a nylon spatula or tongs to turn the slices over. Make sure that you have enough room in the pan to turn the slices.
4. Remove each piece from the pan and place on a plate. Sprinkle the top with sugar and cinnamon. If you prefer, drizzle honey over the top. Serve immediately.