Enjoy French Food : Creme brulee recipe..
- 4 egg yolks
- 300ml whipping / double cream
- vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- demarara sugar
- Heat the cream gently in a saucepan with the vanilla pod
- Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together, then slowly pour in the warm cream, stirring continuously
- Remove the vanilla pod and divide the mixture between the ramekins (little creme brulee dishes) Put the ramekins in a roasting tin, and pour water into the tin until it is 2/3 of the way up the edges of the ramekins. Make sure water does not splash into the ramekins.
- Put in a preheated oven (160-170 degrees C) for 30 minutes
- Allow to cool (you can put them in a refrigerator to speed this up). They should be completely cold before the final stage.
- Sprinkle a thick layer (3mm) of demarara sugar on top of each one. Put them under a high grill, close to the heat, until the sugar has melted together. Watch attentively! If the sugar is melting unevenly turn them around. Should take less than 5 minutes.
- Or use a propane blowtorch if you have one to hand.
- The creme brulee should now have a 'crunchy' top. Eat within 30 minutes or the crust will start to go soft.