Shawarma is a popular food in our country.Moroccan Style Chicken Shawarma Recipe is easy to make, but you'll need to mix the ingredients ahead of time to allow for overnight or all-day marinating.Enjoy the recipe..
- ----- For the Poultry -----
- 2 lbs. (about 1 kg) chicken or turkey breast fillets, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plain, unflavored yogurt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ras El Hanout
- 1 teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup plain, unflavored yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
- salt, to taste
- shredded lettuce
- chopped or sliced tomatoes
- slivered red onion
- chopped cucumber
- chopped olives
- minced chili peppers
Ahead of Time
- Marinate the Chicken: Cut the chicken or turkey fillets into thin strips. (Note: You could opt to leave the meat in fillets, and cut into strips after cooking, but doing so now will allow the meat to absorb more flavor from the marinade.) In a large bowl, combine the yogurt with the lemon juice, garlic and spices. Add the chicken or turkey strips and stir to ensure that all the meat is well-coated. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil (you don't want the odor of garlic transferring to other food) and leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, or for at least six hours.
- Make the Yogurt Sauce: In a bowl, combine the yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Cook the Chicken or Turkey
- I prefer to grill the meat using a grill basket over very hot coals, but you can pan-fry in batches instead. Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. When it begins to smoke, add a tablespoon or two of oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add a generous handful of the marinated chicken strips and quickly fry, stirring several times, just until done. (Don't overcook or you'll dry out the meat). Repeat with the remaining chicken.
Assemble the Shawarma
- Stuff or wrap the cooked chicken in pita bread with your choice of toppings and a dollop of yogurt sauce. If desired, press the sandwich in a panini machine before serving.