Its a good snacks recipe in winter. Cabbage available in this season and it takes a very short time to make. Enjoy Cabbage Rolls with Chestnuts in Olive Oil.
- 1 medium size white cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup rice, washed and drained
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 250 gr chestnuts, grilled, peeled, chopped
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp currant
- 1 tbsp dry mint
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup hot water
- Fill a large pot halfway with water with salt and boil. Cut off the leaves and cook for about 4-5 minutes and drain. Saute the onion with olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the rice, sugar, pine nuts, chestnuts, currant, mint, allspice, cinnamon and salt.
- Saute at low heat until the rice looks almost see-through. Then add the hot water, stir and cover the lid. Cook until all the water evaporates, stirring occasionally at low heat. Put aside and let it cool down.
- Cut off the hard part at the center of the leaves (core). Cut the leaves in medium sizes to fill them. Use a tablespoon to put filling on each leaf ( picture). First fold over the top, then the two sides and roll to close it up.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup olive oil from the side of pot. Put the lid on. Cook at low heat until most of the water evaporates. Leave a little bit of water at the bottom, it will go away as it's cooling down.
- After it cools down, place on a service plate and serve with lemon slices on top. Keep in the fridge.