Unlike American pancakes, the Australian pikelets can be purchased ready-made in grocery stores. Parents often pack them in their child's school lunch or serve as a snack.Every Australian would have made these many times throughout their youth. As a snack it will be enjoyed young and old both. So enjoy the recipe..
- 150 grams (1 cup) flour, self-raising
- pinch salt
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 egg
- 180 ml (6 fluid ounces) milk
- 40 grams (2 tablespoons) sugar, caster (sugar, granulated)
- ¼ teaspoons vanilla essence (vanilla extract)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
1. Sift together flour, salt and soda.
2. Place milk, egg, sugar and melted butter in the centre of the flour mixture.
3. Beat until smooth and a thick pouring consistency.
4. Drop onto a heated, greased pan a spoonful of batter.
5. Cook until you see bubbles appear.
6. Turn the pikelet over with a spatula and continue cooking until the underside is a light brown.
7. Remove from pan and place on a cloth or between layers of paper towel to cool.